Frequently asked questions
- What does ASK do?
- What does "Kollel" mean?
- Is ASK a local or national organization?
- Who funds ASK programming?
- Does ASK cater to a particular age group or level of
- Where are ASK classes held?
- How much does it cost to join ASK?
- Are my donations to ASK tax deductible?
1. What does ASK do?
ASK's goal is to "Connect Jews with Judaism" by strengthening Jewish identity through hands-on educational experiences that empowers one to explore the beautiful world of Judaism. ASK respects all Jews, regardless of prior knowledge or observance level.
2. What does "Kollel" mean?
The Hebrew root of the word Kollel is Klal, which means group or community. In the 21st century a Kollel has come to be known as a group of people united in the goal of studying and teaching Torah.
3. Is ASK a local or national organization?
ASK is an independent, local, not-for-profit organization created for Atlanta-area Jews. While there are many Kollels throughout the United States, they are not affiliated with each other.
4. Who funds ASK programming?
Almost 90 percent is funded through private donations from Atlantans who value our work and want to become partners in our mission. The balance comes from program revenues and individual contributions from outside Atlanta.
5. Does ASK cater to a particular age group or level of religious observance?
No. ASK offers learning opportunities for Jews young and old, from every level of religious observance. Participants include unaffiliated (30%), Reform (20%), Conservative (20%) and Orthodox (30%).
6. Where are ASK classes held?
Transcending the confines of a typical classroom, ASK offers a fresh approach to learning about Torah and Judaism. Whether or not you have been involved with Jewish education, come learn with us. To embark on a compelling, thought-provoking spiritual journey, just ASK!
ASK's "campus without walls" makes classes accessible throughout the metro area almost every day of the year. We will join you in your home or at your office to share with you the joy of Judaism. As Atlanta Jewry grows, so do we.
We also have two study locations:
- The Lavista Beis Midrash, 1855 LaVista Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30329
- The Dunwoody Dome, 5237 Tilly Mill Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30338
7. How much does it cost to join ASK?
ASK is a non-membership organization. Most of our educational programs and classes are free of charge. Occasionally, we charge a nominal fee for a program to help with the costs involved in operating that particular event.
8. Are my donations to ASK tax deductible?Yes. Atlanta Scholars Kollel, Inc. is a non profit organization recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) and by the State of Georgia. All contributions are tax deductible.
Your contribution is vital to our continued growth and ability to provide quality Jewish education to the Atlanta Jewish Community. We appreciate your partnership and investment in our valuable work.